When you choose the opposite






Call it covid boredom or a desire that was buried deep within that sprung up due to the serenity covid came with during the first lockdown. I decided to get a pup. I was thinking of many breeds but due to the size of my house I had to go for a smaller breed- Lhasa apso topped the list as I had a Lhasa when I was in school. They are suppose to have big dog’s heart in a small dogs body- never scared to be left alone, not clingy, very independent yet loyal and loving. Sounds perfect right?


My earlier Lhasa whom we called Tanya was a gift from my cousin and she was the  princess of the house. She was pure white with a pink nose so I thought of finding a similar one. Informed many people about my choice and one day I was told about a family that had 3 Lhasa pups born 2 months ago. As lockdown had ended I decided to meet the pups before anyone picks them up. I could not find a pure white but there were two pups who were white with some brown patches and one who was dark brown with a black face. Sorry for giving so much importance to looks but I was looking for my Tanya. So I was deciding between the two white ones with the brown patches. Both were cute so I decided to spend some time with the family. The family was courteous to allow me in for more than an hour to play with the pups and meet the parents of the pup. The father of the pups was golden with most handsome Lhasa face I have ever seen. I was totally in love with him- he had the aura of a lion with golden mane. But I had to choose from the pups and couldn’t take him right.  So here I was playing with the naughty white and brown girls when I saw the brown pup- I showed him the little dog biscuits I had got from them but he was too shy to fight for the biscuits with his sisters. He was the smallest of them all and was shaking with fear under the cooler stand. I went to him to give him the biscuit which he took a little bite off and then came a little closer to me. He was brown with a black face so he was NOT coming home with me but still he was cute so I took him in my hands. He looked straight into my eyes and I had found my little baby. I know, I know, I was not suppose to pick him as he was brown and I wanted a white Tanya but what to do as ‘he picked me’. He was not very healthy, he was timid, he was everything I had not thought of but yet he was THE ONE. 


Its more than 2 years now and whenever I look back to our first meeting I think of the movie- Jerry Mcguire dialogue - ‘ you had me at Hello’. Well he won me with that look and I won him with mine. Meet him today and he is a playful lion just like his father I guess- from dark brown he has turned golden and he wags his tails whenever I tell him that he is the best doggo in the world and is the best looking doggo. We named him PuYi- the last Emperor of China but he responds to names like Chaudhary, PuYia, natak, brown wall tanya etc etc. just about anything when called with love has to be his name. When I call my son with love he would run with those black eyes asking for some love.


He is very intelligent and brave. He know words like mask, lets go, sandal, car keys, lock, tiffin- all of this means we are going out  and he would finish his meal and would be following me all around hoping to get a seat in the car. There are times and places when I can’t take him and he becomes a brave doggo and doesn’t cry or make me feel bad. He would just stand away from the door and see us leave. He understand when I say that mumma wants to take you but sons with tails are not allowed. He knows that I refer to him as ‘my son with tail’ and my human son as ‘ my son without tail’. I refer to myself as ‘ his tailless mumma’. 

When he had just joined our family, I used to take him into my lap and thank him for leaving his mumma with tail for me who doesn’t have a tail. I told him how brave he was to do it and that I will always love him. I think he understand more than any doggo would. 


He is perfect- he will not bark to wake me up for his morning walk- he would just come near my side of the bed and scratch it, he would take some sounds to wake me and as soon as I put my foot down he would start licking it as he knows he would be taken for his walk now- at this time his name is Charan das’. He normally doesn’t follow me around much and enjoys his time in different room but whenever I am in the washroom, I will find him sitting outside the door and waiting for me. When I come out the washroom I get a hero’s welcome as if he is meeting me after ages. For him I am part of is pack so he needs to guard me. 


More stories to follow- 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kurkure Party

Believe in possibilities

This too shall pass