Believe in possibilities




When your child is diagnosed with a learning disability, we as parents tend to ask other people- be it doctors, therapists, teachers about our child as we feel ourselves to be incapable of understanding the situation. This is but natural as we are caught in a situation we never thought existed.  The lucky few had been sensitised about it but I was not amongst those.

As special parents we get diagnosis/ assessments from various doctors and therapist. I would like to share my journey- started with SPD (Sensory processing disorder), ASD ( Autism syndrome disorder) with speech delay. At one point of time I was told that my child doesn’t have autism but behaviour that is causing speech delay.  I was told that he lacks motivation and intention. This list will continue on and on. 

But with time I started believing in my understanding about my child more than others. Now I will share the reason I am writing this- it’s because of something a person working on my child told me few days back. I was told not to expect much from my child, to keep my expectations low. This is inspite of the fact that I have seldom pressurised any therapist or teacher to show me results as I know it’s a marathon and things would take time. But when I was told not to EXPECT MUCH( for the little I was expecting), the first thing that hit my head was- ITS OK for Pappu’s mother to expect what she is thinking for her son but not for me? Why are we around the child if we don’t believe in the possibilities that can happen?   Well, India is a land of possibilities; we have a chaiwala (with all due respect) becoming the Prime Minister of our country. I believe in all possibilities and would like all the people working with our children to believe in it. Let’s not limit them with our limitations. Period.

Pic- The bridge depicts the faith in possibilities and the hope that the path would open up for all special parents.



No political affiliations. 

Comments

  1. Jahaan chah wahaan raah if you do not want you are not going to get.You can do wonders if you have faith in yourself.Do not be guided by padits or the public .If you have the resolution and determination nothing is going to stop you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe in yourself.... as a mother you know best. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely right . One should never unestimate the abilities and capabilities of human mind and a heart wiing to learn .as teachers and adults it's our fundamental duty to provide learning opportunities and that ought to be our only expectation..from us as being the best teachers .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kurkure Party

This too shall pass